As we go about our day, we rarely think about the health of our feet. However, as the foundation of our body, our feet are incredibly important. Foot issues can have a major impact on our mobility and quality of life. Freiberg’s Disease is one example of a condition that can cause pain and discomfort in the foot. Here’s what you need to know about this condition and how to perform a foot self-exam.
Freiberg’s Disease typically begins with pain in the ball of the foot. It is often linked to an injury to the growth plate of one of the long bones behind the toes, known as metatarsals. This injury causes a loss of blood flow to the growth plate and results in pain. Freiberg’s Disease is most commonly observed in adolescents between the ages of 13 and 15, and is three times as likely to occur in females as in males.
Early diagnosis and treatment of Freiberg’s Disease is essential for a successful outcome. Treatment usually involves reducing pressure under the affected bone. This can be accomplished with the use of crutches and/or prescription of a custom orthotic. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.
Performing a foot self-exam can help you identify any potential issues and seek medical attention promptly. Here are the steps to follow for a foot self-exam:
1. Start by examining the skin of your feet. Check for any cuts, blisters, or sores. Also, look for peeling or cracking of the skin.
2. Next, examine your toenails. Check for any signs of discoloration, thickening, or splitting. These could be indications of a fungal infection.
3. Move on to the soles of your feet. Look for any areas where the skin is hard or thickened. These could be calluses or corns.
4. Examine the tops and sides of your feet. Look for any lumps or bumps that weren’t there before. Also, check for any differences in the appearance of your feet. If one foot is noticeably flatter or wider than the other, it could be a sign of an underlying issue.
5. Finally, check for any pain or tenderness when you apply pressure to certain areas of your feet.
If you notice anything unusual during your foot self-exam, it’s important to see a podiatrist right away. Gilbert Huang DPM is an experienced podiatrist that can help diagnose and treat foot conditions, including Freiberg’s Disease. He can work with you to create a customized treatment plan based on your specific needs.
In conclusion, taking care of your feet is crucial for your overall health and wellbeing. Performing regular foot self-exams can help you identify any issues early on, allowing for prompt treatment and prevention of more serious foot problems. If you’re experiencing any foot pain or discomfort, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention from Dr Gilbert Huang DPM or a qualified podiatrist in your area.